OF THE INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL FOR STREET AND PUPPET THEATRE
PUPPET FAIR – SOFIA 2014
THE GOALS OF THE FESTIVAL
1. To create a varied and high-quality program of performances for audiences of different age levels.
2. To popularize contemporary trends and encourage artistic experimentation in the field of puppet theatre.
3. To create an opportunity for communication and creative contact between artists from different countries.
4. To stimulate the exchange of ideas in order to further develop the art of puppet theatre.
5. To support creativity and the international exchange of cultural values and to encourage the movement of artists and their creations by emphasizing cultural variety and the development of new forms of cultural expression.
6. The international puppet theatre festival takes place every other year, i.e. biannually.
7. The Festival has not competition character.
8. The international puppet theatre festival PUPPET FAIR includes professional theatre troupes from Bulgaria and abroad.
9. The festival includes performances of works from many different genres and styles (including street theatre), oriented to different age-levels, and performed in different languages.
10. A single theatre troupe can perform at most two different productions.
11. Potential participants must submit a written application, which must be accompanied by visual materials – DVD, VCD or VHS recordings of the production, six photos, a press pack, advertising materials and a completed form outlining the troupe’s technical needs no later than October 31 of the previous year in which the festival takes place.
12. A selection committee chooses which proposed productions to include in the festival.
13. Theatre troupes will be officially notified of the selection committee’s decision, and those troupes approved for participation will receive a formal invitation no later than January 31 of the year in which the festival takes place.
14. All costs connected with a troupe’s stay in Bulgaria and participation in the festival (per diems, hotels, customs taxes) will be paid by the organizers. The organizers will also pay full transportation costs for foreign troupes within the territory of Bulgaria (transportation costs from the troupe’s country of origin to Bulgaria are the troupe’s own responsibility).
15. The festival will partially cover the transportation costs of Bulgarian troupes.
16. All theatre troupes that take part in the festival will receive plaques created by the sculptor Iva Hadzhieva, as well as certificates of participation.
17. The festival will include seminars, master’s classes, workshops, and exhibitions addressing theoretical and practical aspects of the development of puppet theatre.
18. The international puppet theatre festival PUPPET FAIR is organized by the Sofia Puppet Theatre, Sofia Municipality, the National Centre for Theatre in the Bulgarian Ministry of Culture, the Bulgarian Association of Puppet Theatres "AKT - UNIMA, Bulgaria", the Bulgarian Actors’ Guild (BAG), and the National Academy of Theatre and Film Arts “Kr. Sarafov.”
19. An organizational committee chaired by the director of the Sofia Puppet Theatre leads the organization and production of the festival.
20. The organizational committee carries out all the necessary preparation for the organization and production of the festival.
21. The organizational committee designates and chooses the members of the selection committee and the members of the festival jury.
22. Financial support for the organization and production of the PUPPET FAIR festival comes from Sofia Municipality, the Bulgarian Ministry of Culture, the Bulgarian Association of Puppet Theatres - "AKT - UNIMA, Bulgaria", the Bulgarian Actors’ Guild (BAG), the National Academy of Theatre and Film Arts “Kr. Sarafov,” sponsors, donations, etc.
23. The organizational committee will answer any questions connected with the festival not answered in the present guidelines.